Applying for Participation
An institution seeking approval to participate in and operate under the terms and standards of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA) must meet the requirements for eligibility and prepare an application to participate in SARA.
Once completed, institutions submit their applications to their own state’s SARA State Portal Entity.
Detailed information about the institutional application process is in the SARA Policy Manual, Sections 3.4-3.6.
Here's an overview of the Application and Renewal Process in a larger view format.
Annual Renewal Process
Institutions previously approved by their state to participate in SARA must renew their participation annually.
- Institutions are alerted by NC-SARA to begin the renewal process.
- The SARA State Portal Entity reviews the institution’s renewal application and takes one of four actions:
1. Approves the institution’s renewal application;
3. Returns the institution’s application for additional data/information;
4. Denies the institution’s renewal application.
- Upon approval of a renewal application, the institution pays its renewal fee to NC-SARA and, if required, to its own SARA member state. Any required state fees are paid as part of the application process and must be paid prior to the institution being approved.
- Delays in payments to NC-SARA may result in late fees and potential loss of participation.
- Institutions that are on Provisional Status may carry additional institutional obligations or limitations.
Detailed information about the institutional renewal process is in the SARA Policy Manual, Section 3.7